- Bluetooth wireless technology is a short-range communications technology intended to replace the cables connecting portable and/or fixed devices while maintaining high levels of security.
- The key features of Bluetooth technology are robustness, low power, and low cost.
- The Bluetooth specification defines a uniform structure for a wide range of devices to connect and communicate with each other.
- Bluetooth technology has achieved global acceptance such that any Bluetooth enabled device, almost everywhere in the world, can connect to other Bluetooth enabled devices in proximity.
- Bluetooth enabled electronic devices connect and communicate wirelessly through short-range, ad hoc networks known as piconets.
- Each device can simultaneously communicate with up to seven other devices within a single piconet. Each device can also belong to several piconets simultaneously.
- Piconets are established dynamically and automatically as Bluetooth enabled devices enter and leave radio proximity.
- A fundamental Bluetooth wireless technology strength is the ability to simultaneously handle both data and voice transmissions. This enables users to enjoy variety of innovative solutions such as a hands-free headset for voice calls, printing and fax capabilities, and synchronizing PDA, laptop, and mobile phone applications to name a few.
- At Home - The modern home is much different than homes of past generations. With the possibilities of today's technology, more people have brought the office into their homes, making their lives easier and more functional. Increasingly, people are now extending technology outside of the domestic office, into other areas of the home.
- At Work - The office of yesterday was a clutter of wires and confusion. From cords powering devices to cables connecting computers to keyboards, printers, mice, and PDAs created a chaotic, disorderly work environment. In some cases, it became an office hazard as people tripped over wires or were entangled in cables. Today, with Bluetooth wireless technology, the office can be a sleek, organized machine, with fewer wires in sight. PDAs sync with computers, to share calendars and contact lists, peripherals communicate directly with computers and Bluetooth headsets allow phone use throughout an office space, all without connecting a wire.
- In Motion - As people travel between work, home, and other destinations, Bluetooth technology provides the personal connectivity to access important information and communicate while on the move. Regardless of the role a person is playing ? parent, student, mobile professional ? continuous access and communication is expected in this fast-paced world. New devices and technologies are streaming to market to ensure better mobile connection and Bluetooth wireless technology is often the standard making that personal wireless connectivity a reality.
- At Play - Playing games, listening to music, meeting new people, sharing photos with friends ? all fun activities that a growing number of consumers want to accomplish effortlessly and instantly, without the hassle of cords and wires. Bluetooth wireless technology is the only wireless technology that makes wireless fun a reality. Gaming devices with Bluetooth technology built in allow for the spirit of competition to take hold in any location ? on the subway, at the airport, or sitting in the living room. Because no wires are required, gamers can find each other easily ? even anonymously ? and strike up a friendly game.